Check COD Availability
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Leek seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to grow Leek?
Winter season is the best season to grow the Leek. Leek needs cool weather also more water. So it can grow quickly in the winter season.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Leek seeds can available in all the season also it can germinate in all the season. But it will give the better performance in the winter season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
Leeks will take more than 15 days to germinate. During this period, the soil around the plant must be moist. Moist soil can increase the growing speed.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
We can grow it either indoor or in the outdoor, but it need at least 2 to 3 hours sunlight every day. In case, your growing in the outdoor, place it where it can get the sunlight properly.
7. Which container is suitable for Leek? Rectangular, round?
A rectangular pot is better to grow Leek. It has large space in it which helps to grow the roots lengthy.
8. What temperature is required?
Leeks need temperature 14 to 16 degree to grow quickly. In this temperature, Leeks can start to cultivate soon.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Below instruction to maintain water.
Summer: Need regular watering.
Winter: Need two days once watering.
Rainy: Three days once. (If rain water is not reaching to the plant)
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Leeks can sustain heavy sunlight. The layers on it can protect them from sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
It can grow with less sunlight. But it need at least 2 to 3 hours sunlight every day.
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Thrips tabaci, Botrytis squamosa, Damping-off. Fusarium spp are the common diseases that can affect Leeks. In case your plants facing these problems, you can use the "Neem oil". Neem oil is a natural pesticide. So it can avoid common diseases.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you're providing the properly water, potting mix and Neem oil (In case any diseases) it will take 75 to 145 days to harvest.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
When the Leek reaches four to five inches in the length, we can harvest the Leeks.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
We can cut the upper leeks from the pruning secateurs safely. Should not remove the plants it will re-grow.