1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season?
Palak can be grown in any season. But grows well in summer. So it is better to grow in the summer season. During the summer season, its germination process will be strong.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Palak or spinach seeds are available in all the seasons also it germinate in all the season, But it will germinate quickly in the summer season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
It is better to grow it in the outdoor because it needs 6 hours sunlight everyday or else place it where it can get sunlight properly.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Spinach roots are much longer, so it is better to sow in the land. It requires space to grow the root.
8. What temperature is required?
Spinach prefers temperatures between 15 to 17 degrees. In this temperature Spinach germination process will be strong.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Spinach is a highly water consumer plant. You can maintain the watering as below.
Summer : Water should be daily once.
Winter : Water should be two or three days once.
Rainy : If rain water is flowing to the plant, no need to watering to it. In case, not three days once.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
As it is a summer season crop, Palak can sustain from the high sunlight. During the summer season, palak can grow healthy.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
We can grow Palak in indoor also but we have to place the plants where it can get at least 5 to 6 hours sunlight everyday.
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
There are some possibilities to get the common diseases. Downy mildew is a major common disease. If you are facing this problem use “Neem oil”. Neem oil is a natural pesticide so it can avoid the diseases.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you’re providing properly water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix) and neem oil (In the case of any diseases) it will take 6 to 8 weeks to grow from seed to harvest. Some spinach depends with varieties.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
When the Palak leaves reach 4 to 6 inches in the length it is ready to harvest.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
Just cut the leaves of spinach from pruning secateurs safely, it will re-grow.
6. Advantages of Palak
- It controls your blood sugar level
- Gives you whiter teeth
- Improves your brain functioning