Growing green peas at home- All that you should know! I hope you would have loved my previous blog post about “summer squash”. I was wondering what to write about when this frisky thought...
Water melon seeds (Hybrid)
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Watermelon seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the Watermelon seeds in water. Non-soaked seeds also can work fine also that can germinate quickly. Soaking is not applicable to all seeds.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the begging, but when the roots reach 2 to 3 inches in the length it requires some more space to grow. So direct pot is the best to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to grow Watermelon?
Watermelon can give the best result in the summer season. Warm weather helps grow quickly.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Watermelon seeds can available in all season also it can germinate in all the season. But Watermelon giving the best result in the summer.
5. How many days will it take to germinate? Minimum - maximum
It will take nearly 7 to 10 days to germinate. During the germination period, the soil around the plants must be moist. Moisture soil can increase the growing speed.
6. Should we cover the pot with the plastic cover for better germination?
No need to cover the Watermelon plants by the plastic cover, it can germinate without covering the plastic. If we covered the plants it can't get sunlight properly, so we recommended to not cover the plants by the cover.
7. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
In care, you're planting the Watermelon indoor that will grow less abundantly due to less sunlight, So better to grow it outdoor for the best result.
8. Which container is suitable to grow Watermelon? Rectangular, round?
Rectangular pots are better to grow any kinds of the plant because the round plant will consume more space, compare to the rectangular pots
9. What temperature is required?
Watermelon needs 10 to 25 degree temperature to grow. In this temperature, it can grow soon.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat base potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
Watermelon requires fertilizer and compost to grow as a healthy plant. Our potting mix has fertilizer and composts on it, also, it makes root strong also it resist the diseases.
3. How to water?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Watermelon does not require more water, it need water for two days once in the summer and three days once in the winter and rainy season.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Watermelons are the warm-weather crop, so can sustain heavy sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
It requires direct sunlight so it is better to grow in outdoor or place it where it can get the sunlight properly
1. What are the common diseases it gets? Like root decay, white flies, many are there like this?
Bacterial Fruit Blotch, Anthracnose, Downy Mildew, Alternaria Leaf Spot, Cercospora Leaf Spot are the common diseases. If your plants facing this problem we advice applying the "Neem oil". Neem oil can fight with most of the common diseases. Our neem oil comes with a user instruction.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
Watermelon will take 65-90 days to harvest from the sow. Till that we need to provide the water on time.
2. How to identify it is ready for harvest? ( mention the height of plant or fruit colour )
When the Watermelon will come to the good color and size, it ready for the harvest.
3. How Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
Cut the Watermelon from the knife or in the pruning secateurs safely, No need to remove the plants it will re-grow again.
We Also Recommend