Growing green peas at home- All that you should know! I hope you would have loved my previous blog post about “summer squash”. I was wondering what to write about when this frisky thought...
Cabbage seeds (Hybrid)
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Cabbage seeds overnight for better germination?
As we saw most of the cases, If does not soak the Cabbage seeds also it will work fine. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or Direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the begging, but when the roots reach 2 to 3 inches in the length it requires some more space to grow. So direct pot is the best to cultivate.
3. What is the best season?
Cabbages are likes cool weather, so it can grow soon in winter and rainy seasons. It germinates process will be fast in the cool season.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
The Cabbage seeds can germinate in all season, But it is cool weather crop, that requires cool weather, so it performs well in winter and rainy season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate? Minimum - maximum
Cabbages do not take much time to germinate. If we are giving proper water and potting mix it will take 4 to 5 weeks to germinate.
6. Should we cover the pot with the plastic cover for better germination?
Cabbages are cool weather crop, so it doesn’t, need to cover the plants by plastic. It grows comfortably when it is not cover also.
7. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
During the germination period we can keep in indoor, But after the sprout, it require full sunlight. So it is better to keep outdoor or if you like to grow it indoor place it where it can get at least4 to 5 hours sunlight every day.
8. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Round container is the best to grow. Cabbages acquire more space to grow. So we are recommended to sow the cabbages, where it can get little more space.
8. What temperature is required?
Cabbages like cool weather. It can cultivate quickly in 15 to 18-degree temperature. In this temperature, Cabbage will encourage the fast growing.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat base potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
Cabbage requires fertilizer and compost to grow as a healthy plant. Potting mix has fertilizer and composts on it, also, it makes root strong also it resist the diseases.
3. How to water?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Cabbages may be cool weather crop but requires more water. When we watering properly, it will grow as soon as possible.
Watering should be like this,
Summer season : Two times per day.
Winter season : Regular watering.
Rainy season : Most of the times watering is not required. Water only if does not rain for 2 days in the row.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Cabbages cannot destroy from the high sunlight because Cabbages will grow under the soil. The soil will protect from the sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
After the 4 to 6 week of sowing, cabbages require at least 1 to 2 hours sunlight per a day. So it is better to grow out the door.
1. What are the common diseases it gets? Like root decay, white flies, many are there like this?
Cabbage can be attacked by cutworms, cabbage loopers. Like this cases use “ Neem oil “. It works as an organic pesticide. As we experimented neem oil cures the common diseases also it makes plant strong. Our neem oil available with usage instruction.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
Cabbage will take 80 to 180 days from the seed to harvest. In this duration, we have maintain the plants properly by providing the water, potting mix. In case of any diseases use neem oil.
2. How to identify it is ready for harvest? ( mention the height of plant or fruit colour )
When the top leave reaches 4 to 10 inches in the length It is ready to harvest. Also, it should become good size and colour.
3. How Harvest? Should we remove from the root or just cut and it grows again?
Cabbages can not re-grow again so we have to remove the overall cabbage or else cut the cabbage by Pruning secateurs safely.
We Also Recommend