Check COD Availability
Country of origin : INDIA
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Dahlias seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to grow Dahlias ?
Dahlias are growing quickly in the summer season, summer season helps to germinate soon.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Dahlia seeds are available in all the season, but it germinates well in the summer season. So better to grow in the summer season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
Dahlias will expect the moist soil around it. During the moist soil, it can germinate in 7 to 12 days.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
Starting 2 to 3 weeks, it can germinate in the indoor warm weather. Later it needs direct sunlight. So better to place the plants outdoor.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
A rectangular container will be sufficient to grow the Dahlia plants. This container has large space to grow.
8. What temperature is required to grow Dahlias ?
Dahlias can cultivate quickly in 18-20C temperature. In this temperature, Dahlias grow well.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Dahlias are low water consumer, it takes less watering. Four to five days once in the summer season. If top surface is fully dry we can spray the water again. Five to six days once in the winter and in the rainy season.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
As it is a warm weather crop, it likes hot weather. So it can sustain from the high sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
Starting two to three weeks it can grow without sunlight, later it need complete direct sunlight (It requires 4 to 5 hours sunlight every day)
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Dahlias can be affected by Bacterial Wilt, Bacteriosis, Canker and dieback diseases, Crown Gall, Powdery Mildew some other common diseases. In case of these diseases, we recommend to spray the "Neem oil". It is a natural pesticide so can resist the plants from diseases and it make the plants strong.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you are proving water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix) and neem oil (in the case of any disease) properly, it will take 90 to 100 days to harvest.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
Once the flower petals starts to open, you can harvest. Choose flowers that are open or nearly open because the buds will not open once they're cut.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
You can pluck the Dahlia flowers directly from hand. But handle the plant gently while doing so. You can also cut the flowers from pruning secateurs safely, it will re-grow again.