Nature is the most beautiful creation in this world. The word 'Nature' gives us a relaxed feeling irrespective of any sort of tensions. A whole lot of greenery comes into our mind when we think abo...
Leek Seeds( Hybrid)
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Leek seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the Leek seeds in water. Non-soaked seeds also can work fine also that can germinate quickly. Soaking is not applicable to all seeds.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
Seeding in the tray is a best practice because due to heavy rain sometimes there is a chance to loose the seeds. So if it is in the tray we can able to shift it soon. After reaching a 2 to 3 inches in the length than we can sow into the pot or to the land.
3. What is the best season to grow Leek?
Winter season is the best season to grow the Leek. Leek needs cool weather also more water. So it can grow quickly in the winter season.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Leek seeds can available in all the season also it can germinate in all the season. But it will give the better performance in the winter season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate? Minimum - maximum
Leeks will take more than 15 days to germinate, during this period the soil around the plant must be moist. Moisture soil can increase the growing speed.
6. Should we cover the pot with the plastic cover for better germination?
No need to cover Leek plants by the plastic cover, it can germinate without covering the plastic. If we covered the plants can't get sunlight properly, so we recommended to not cover the plants by the cover.
7. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
We can grow it either indoor or in the outdoor, but it need at least 2 to 3 hours sunlight every day. In case, your growing in the outdoor, place it where it can get the sunlight properly.
8. Which container is suitable for Leek? Rectangular, round?
A rectangular pot is better to grow Leek. It has large space on it, to grow the roots lengthy.
9. What temperature is required?
Leeks need temperature 14 to 16 degree to grow quickly. In this temperature, Leeks can start to cultivate soon.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat base potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using potting mix (TrustBasket), no need to invest for any other compost, because plants need fertilizer and compost to germinate quickly. Our potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. It helps to grow healthy.
3. How to water?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Most important we should keep the soil moist around the seeds during their germination, so remember to water the plants regularly. It requires more than 1 inches of water from the top surface. Once the plants established it does not require that much water. Below instruction to maintain water. Summer: Need regular watering. Winter: Need two days once watering. Rainy: Three days once. (If rain water is not reaching to the plant)
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Leeks can sustain heavy sunlight. It can protect them.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
It can grow with less sunlight, means it need at least 2 to 3 hours sunlight every day.
1. What are the common diseases it gets? Like root decay, white flies, many are there like this?
Thrips tabaci, Botrytis squamosa, Damping-off. Fusarium spp are the common diseases can attack to Leeks. In case your plants facing these problems, you can apply the "Neem oil". Neem oil can fight with common diseases and it destroy them, also it start to give the protection to the plants.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you're providing the properly water, potting mix and Neem oil (In case any diseases) it will take 75 to 145 days to harvest.
2. How to identify it is ready for harvest? ( mention the height of plant or fruit colour )
When the Leek reaches four to five inches in the length, we can harvest the Leeks.
3. How Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
We can cut the upper leeks from the pruning secateurs safely. Should not remove the plants it will re-grow again.
We Also Recommend