1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or Direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season?
The Winter season is the best season to grow lettuce. It likes cold weather. Lettuce will grow well in this season.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Lettuce seeds are available (TrustBasket) in all seasons, we can grow Lettuce any time. But Lettuce likes the winter season. In this season, it grows well.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
If we are keeping the soil moist in the pot by providing proper water, fertilizer, and compost (Potting mix), Lettuce will take 4 to 8 days to germinate the seeds from the sowing.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
We can grow lettuce either indoor or outdoor. But the plants should get sunlight for at least 3 to 4 hours.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Rectangular pots are better to grow any kinds of the plant also roots can spread lengthy compared to round container. Lettuce requires more space to grow the roots. So we recommend to grow in the rectangular pot.
8. What temperature is required?
Temperatures should be between 10 to 18 degree to grow. In this temperature lettuce will grow well.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Water is a most important and required thing. So below instruction helps you to maintain the water to the plant.
Summer: Daily once. (If top surface is fully dry spray once again)
Winter: Two days once.
Rainy: Most of the times watering is not required. Water only if it does not rain for 4 days in a row.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Lettuce can sustain by the high sunlight. Lettuce leaves are very thick and rough. So it can protect the leaves from sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
Lettuce needs 3 to 4 hours sunlight every day to grow it properly. So we should place it where it can get sunlight.
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Lettuce will get common diseases like aphids, earwigs, white mold. In case your plants get any diseases, use “Neem oil“. It is a natural pesticide so it can avoid the diseases.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you are providing proper water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix), Neem oil (In the case of any diseases) it will be ready for harvest 65 to 80 days after sowing.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
Tall stalks with deep green leaves denotes that the lettuce is ready for harvesting.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
You can harvest leaf lettuce by simply removing outer leaves or cutoff the leaves by headge shear safely. So that the center leaves can continue to grow.
6. Advantages of Lettuce
- Lettuce has low Calorie content and almost Zero fat.
- It helps to weight less
- It helps to cure Insomnia
- Whole life food.
Use within 6 months from the date of manufacture.