Growing green peas at home- All that you should know! I hope you would have loved my previous blog post about “summer squash”. I was wondering what to write about when this frisky thought...
Lettuce seeds (Hybrid)
1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the seeds overnight for better germination?
Un- necessary to soak the Lettuce seeds in the water. If does not soak also lettuce seeds will work fine. So we advice to non-soak the seeds.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or Direct sow is recommended?
At the begging, we able to sow in tray But when the roots reach 2 to 3 inches in the length, it needs deep space to grow the root. Otherwise, it invites the pests or diseases. So it is better to grow in the pot or directly to the land.
3. What is the best season?
Winter season is the best season to grow lettuce. It likes cold weather. Lettuce will grow strongly in this seasons.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Lettuce seeds are available (TrustBasket) in all season, we can grow Lettuce any time, But Lettuce likes winter season. In this season, it performs well.
5. How many days will it take to germinate? Minimum - maximum
If we are keeping the soil moist in the pot with providing proper water, fertilizer and compost (Potting mix). Lettuce will take 5 to 10 days to germinate the seeds from the sowing.
6. Should we cover the pot with the plastic cover for better germination?
Lettuces need the constant temperature. So it is better to cover the plants by plastic to maintain the constant temperature. But we have to make some holes for the oxygen transmission.
7. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
We can grow lettuce either of indoor or outdoor. But we have to keep the plants, where it can get sunlight at least 2 to 3 hours. Apart from some plants, all plants need sunlight.
8. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Rectangular pots are better to grow any kinds of the plant also roots can spread lengthy compared to round container. Lettuce requires more space to grow the roots. So we recommended growing in the rectangular pot.
9. What temperature is required?
Temperatures should be between 7.5 and 18.33 degree to grow. In this temperature lettuce will encourage the fast growing.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat base potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
Lettuce needs moist soil, water, fertilizer, compost to grow as a healthy plant. Our potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it can keep soil moist for a long time. So we advise to use potting mix.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Water is a most important and required thing. We should not water the plant more or very less. So below instruction helps you to maintain the water to the plant;
Summer: Daily once. (If top surface is fully dry spray once again)
Winter: Two days once.
Rainy: Most of the times watering is not required. Water only if it does not rain for 4 days in a row.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Lettuce can be sustain by the high sunlight. Lettuce's leaves are very thin and rough. So it can protect them by the leaves.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
Lettuce needs 3 to 4 hours sunlight every day to grow it properly. So we should place it where it can get sunlight.
1. What are the common diseases it gets? Like root decay, white flies, many are there like this?
Lettuce will get commonly diseases like aphids, earwigs, white mold. In the case of this diseases or any other diseases use “Neem oil“. It can fight against the diseases also it give the protection to the plant till harvest.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you are providing proper water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix), Neem oil (In the case of any diseases) it will be ready for harvest 65 to 80 days after sowing.
2. How to identify it is ready for harvest? (mention the height of plant or fruit color)
Tall stalks with deep green leaves denote a lettuce head ready for harvesting.
3. How Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
You can harvest leaf lettuce by simply removing outer leaves or cutoff the leaves by headge shear safely. So that the center leaves can continue to grow.
6. Advantages of Lettuce
- Lettuce has low Calorie content and almost Zero fat.
- It helps to weight less
- It helps to Insomnia
- Whole life food.
We Also Recommend