1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or Direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season?
Onion will grow in all seasons, but grows quickly in the summer season. During the hot weather, Onion germinates well.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Onion seeds are available in all season (Trust Basket) also it will germinate in all the season. But summer is the best time to grow Onions.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
While typically germination occurs within 7-10 days, soil temperature affects this process. For instance, the cooler the soil temperature, onion seeds take up to two weeks to germinate. Warm soil temperatures, on the other hand, can trigger onion seed germination in as little as four days.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
Onions are basically outdoor plants, but we can grow it indoor also. In case you are planning to grow indoor, place it where it can get at least five to six hours sunlight every day.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
The deep round container is suitable to grow onion. Because Onion roots and top leaves will take more space to grow.
8. What temperature is required?
Onion prefers temperatures 26' degrees. In this temperature onion will give good yield.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
Almost all the plants need fertilizer and compost mandatorily. If you’re using our potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost or fertilizer. Our potting mix has fertilizer and compost content in it. It increases the soil quality.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Onions plant not require more water. We need to water properly on time to grow as a healthy plant. Below instructions help you while watering.
Summer : Water should be for three days once.
Winter : Five or six days once (If top surface is fully dry can spray water again)
Rainy : In case rain water is not flowing to the plants. Five or six days once.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Onions can sustain from the high sunlight. As it will grow under the soil, sunlight won't matter.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
Onions can grow either indoor or in the outdoor. But we need to place such that it gets at least five to six hours of sunlight everyday. So it is suitable to keep in outdoor.
1. What are the common diseases it gets? Like root decay, white flies, many are there like this?
Onions can get commonly diseases like Neck rot, fusarium rot. If you are facing this or any other problems use “Neem oil. Neem oil is an organic pesticide.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you’re providing water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix) and Neem oil ( In the case of any diseases) properly it will take 100 to 125 days to grow from seed to harvest. Some onions depend with varieties.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
Onions are ready to harvest when the bulbs are big and the tops begin to turn yellow and fall over.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
Pull them up, shake off the soil, and lay them out to cure with the tops still attached. Onions will not grow again. We have to sow the seeds for next harvest.
6. Advantages of Onions
- Nowadays it is a compulsory thing to cook.
- Improves Bone density
- Maintains Heart health