1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Portulaca seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to grow the Portulaca?
In the summer season, portulaca can grow quickly. Warm weather can increase the germination speed.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Portulaca seeds can available online in all the season (Trustbasket) also it germinates in all the season. But it grows well in the summer season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
In the summer season, it will take 10 to 15 days to germinate the seeds.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
It is better to grow in outdoor because it needs direct sunlight. If you like to grow it in indoor, place it where it can get the sunlight properly.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
We can grow Portulaca plants in round container. Our round container has good width and length. It is sufficient to grow the plants.
8. What temperature is required?
It can grow quickly in 18 to 21' degree temperature. In this temperature, Portulaca starts to grow soon.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
You do not need to water Portulaca plants often. As they belong to the succulent category, they do not require regular watering. Light watering would be enough as their root zone is very shallow.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
Portulaca is a warm-weather crop that require full sun. It needs minimum 4 hours of the sunlight everyday. So it can sustain from the high sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
Portulacas need nearly four to five hours sunlight every day. So it is better to grow outdoor.
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Aphids, gnats both are common diseases to Portulaca. If your plants are facing this problem, we advice applying "Neem oil". Neem oil is a natural pesticide. So can avoid diseases.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
If you are providing proper water, fertilizer, compost (potting mix), Neem oil (In the case of any diseases) it will be ready for harvest in 65 to 80 days after sowing.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
Portulaca flowers are harvested when the outer petals unfold nearly perpendicular to the stem.
3. How Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
We can cut the flower by the help of pruning secateurs safely, it will re-grow.