1. How to germinate seeds
1. Should we soak the Tulsi seeds overnight for better germination?
Soak the Tulsi seeds into the clean water. Soaking the seeds help to germinate quickly. Methi can germinate well if soaked.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to grow Tulsi?
Tulsi can grow in any season. But it grows comfortably in the summer season. Summer season increases the growing speed.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
Tulsi seeds can available in all the season also it germinate in all the season, but it gives the better yield in the summer season.
5. How many days will it take to germinate?
During the germination period, the soil around the plant should be moist. In the moisture Methi will take 7 – 10 days to germinate.
6. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it outdoor?
We can grow Tulsi either indoor or in the outdoor. But it needs at least four to five hours sunlight everyday.
7. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Tulsi plants need large space to grow the root. Our rectangular pot has sufficient space to grow. So methi can grow comfortably in the rectangular pot.
8. What temperature is required?
Tulsi can grow quickly between the 10 C to 32 degree temperature. In this temperature, Tulsi starts to cultivate soon.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using a Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Tulsi consumes more water compared to other plants. It needs regular water in summer. Two days once in the winter and rainy season.
2. Will it sustain high sunlight?
As it likes warm weather, it can sustain heavy sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in a shade or less sun?
It can't sustain without sunlight or less sunlight. It needs at least four to six hours sunlight everyday. So it is better to place it outdoor or place it where it can get the sunlight properly.
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Methis can attack by phids, powdery mildew, charcoal rot and root rot are the diseases which affects Tulsi. If you find any diseases in plants, use Neem oil. It is a natural pesticide so it can avoid the diseases and it make plants healthy.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
Tulsi will take 4- 6 weeks to harvest from the seedling. Till that we need to provide the fertilizer, compost(potting mix) and Neem oil properly.
2. How to identify it is ready for harvest?
When the Tulsi leaves reach about 2 inches in the length it will be ready for the harvest.
3. How to Harvest? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
Snip off only one-third of the leaves from each plant, allowing the rest of the plant to continue growing. You should be able to harvest the greens 3 or 4 times before the plants take to blooming.