1. How to germinate Tomato seeds?
1. Should we soak the Tomato seeds overnight for better germination?
No need to soak the seeds in water. Directly we can sow the seeds. But we should keep the seeds moist during the germination.
2. Should we use the seedling tray or Direct sow is recommended?
We can maintain the seeds in the tray at the beginning. But when the plant reaches 2 to 3 inches in length it requires some more space to grow. Sowing directly into pot is the best way to cultivate.
3. What is the best season to sow the tomato seeds?
Summer season is the best season because tomatoes need heat. It will grow soon in the summer.
4. Will it germinate in all seasons?
We can grow tomatoes in all the season, But it will germinate soon in the summer season.
5. How many days will Tomato seeds take to germinate?
It will take 7 to 8 days to germinate the sprout. You can observe in the pot after sowing the seeds.
6. Should we cover the pot with the plastic cover for better germination?
Tomatoes should be covered by the plastic cover because if it is in the heat whether it will grow soon and also we have to make some hole on that for the oxygen transmission.
7. Can we keep it indoor after sowing or we should keep it out the door?
We can sow it either indoor or outdoor, but makes sure it gets warm weather. Using the plastic cover as stated above would help. But once the seeds sprout properly, plants of tomato need good sunlight at least for 7 to 8 hours a day. So we recommend to keep it outdoor.
9. Which container is suitable? Rectangular, round?
Either of rectangular or Round pot can be used. Rectangular pots are better for most of the plants because the round pot will consume more space compare to the rectangular pots.
8. What temperature is required?
Tomatoes need above 25°C temperatures to grow healthy plants.
2. What potting mix to use?
1. Will the coco peat based potting mix be sufficient or does it need soil only?
If you are using our Potting mix, no need to invest for any other compost. Most of the plants need fertilizer and compost to grow. Potting mix has fertilizer and compost content on it. Also, it keeps soil healthy and moist.
3. How to water ?
1. Does it need a lot of water or very less water?
Watering depends on the weather. If you are using our potting mix then water the plants only when the top surface is completely dry. Because our potting mix holds moisture well inside.You can easily test the moisture in the potting mix by just inserting your finger into a corner of the pot.
But in usual cases:
In winter: Water 3 days once
Summer: water daily or two days once depending on how intense is the weather.
Rainy season: Most of the times watering is not required. Water only if it does not rain for 4 days in a row.
2. Will it sustain high sun light ?
Tomatoes are a warm-weather crop that require full sun, which means six or more hours of the sun per day. So it will sustain heavy sunlight.
3. Does it grow indoor in shade or less sun?
Tomatoes need more sunlight. So it is better to sow in outdoor as it gets sufficient sunlight outside.
4. Pests or Diseases for Tomato plants?
1. What are the common diseases it gets?
Give your plants good soil & fertilizer and regular watering. Healthy plants are much more likely to resist diseases and other problems.
If in case you see problems in your plant, use neem oil as it is an organic pesticide. Our neem oil bottle also comes with usage instructions.
1. How many days it takes to grow from seed to harvest stage?
The tomatoes will take maximum 75-85 days to harvest. Till that we need to take care of the plants by watering them properly, providing good fertilizers ( potting mix will be a good option) and using pesticide (neem oil) whenever necessary.
2. How to identify whether it is ready for harvest?
Watch the bottom of the fruit carefully, as this is where tomatoes begin to ripen, especially large heirloom varieties. Lightly squeeze the fruit to test for firmness. Once the first bloom of red appears on the skin of the tomato, harvest time for tomatoes are high.
3. How to Harvest Tomatoes? Should we remove from root or just cut and it grows again?
You can pluck the tomatoes directly from hand. But handle the plant gently while doing so. You can also cut the tomatoes from pruning secateurs safely, it will re-grow again.