Chandni, which is Hindi for “moonlight,” by its mention, many of the 80s and 90s kids remember Sridevi from the Yash Chopra classic - isn’t it?
Chandni is the perfect name for this beautiful little white flower that looks mesmerising and has a unique scent that makes you feel relaxed and calm.
In addition, this plant is renowned for its medicinal properties. It possesses many healing benefits, from remedying eye ailments to treating tuberculosis.
Nature lovers will take advantage of every opportunity to be near these flowers, and it is not even difficult to grow this flower in your home.
Here in this blog, we will discuss how easily you can plant it in your house and more. We will cover the following:
- Some facts about chandni flower
- Benefits of chandni flower plant
- How to grow chandni plants at home
- How to take care of chandni flower plant
So, let's begin.
Some Unique Facts About Chandni Flower
- The chandni flower is also called raat ki rani in India.
- Chandni flowers can grow up to 8 feet in height and 6 feet wide.
- Chandni plant blossoms under the moonlight and hence got its name.
- If you break its stem, you will notice a milk-like fluid. Since it has a milky substance in the stem, it is also called a milk flower.
- These chandni flowers also offer prayers in temples, especially in Tamil Nadu. Hence, it is a sacred flower.
- Did you know that you can even use this chatak chandni flower to comfort you and make you fall asleep?
- Do you know caterpillars, oleander hawks, and moths love to eat chandni flowers?
- You can even use the dried leaves to make tea.
- The chandni plant has a bitter taste helping in digestion and appetite.
- The chandni flower plant is native to India and is called the Carnation of India.
- The white flower is in the shape of a pinwheel; hence, people sometimes call it a pinwheel flower.
- The chandni flower in English is known as Crepe Jasmine or East India Rosebay, and chandni flower in Hindi is also known as the chatak flower.
Benefits Of Chandni Flower Plant
The chandni flower has a lot of benefits, especially if we look at it from a medicinal and healing point of view. Here are a few that are surely going to impress you and make you want to plant these fantastic and beautiful plants right away:
- The chandni flower works wonders if you have sleeping issues. These flowers have hypnotic and sedative qualities that can relax and make a person fall asleep.
- Chandni may even have some anticonvulsant properties that help in reducing seizures.
- If you keep a chandni flower near you, it can help in improving your concentration levels.
- Many people use chandni flowers in an infused way to help relax muscle spasms.
- These flowers also provide short-term relief from anxiety, insomnia, and uneasiness.
- Chandni flower tree has also been used to treat digestion and colic problems.
- If you are suffering from gas problems, you can try drinking tea made with its dried leaves.
- Chandni flower is also great for people with high blood pressure and heart problems. Those people should plant these beauties at home.
How To Grow Chandni Plants At Home
The chandni plant has no special requirements; hence, it becomes relatively simpler to grow at home. If you follow the steps mentioned below, you will be able to easily grow more and more flowers at home.
Choose The Variety
There are different varieties of the chandni plant, and you can choose from mini, double, or single chandni plants. All the types bear white flowers, although the single chandni plant will not have any fragrance, and the double-flowered variety has a relaxing and soothing aroma and scent. If you need fragrance, a double chandni plant is preferable.
Best Season To Grow
The best season to grow a chandni flower is between March and May and August and Early October. It would be best if you avoided any season in which there is frost.
Ideal Temperature For Growing
The best temperature in which the chandni plant grows is between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius.
Preparing Potting Soil
- Chandni plant does not need specific soil requirements and can grow in almost any soil. The only exception is too much clay content in the soil.
- Alternatively, you can mix 30% cow dung compost and 70% garden soil, 50% garden soil, 20% coco peat, 25% compost, and 5% neem khali.
- The best pH range for growing chandni plants is 4.6 to 6.0.
- You can use fertilisers in case the pH balance is above 7.0.
Choosing The Container/pot
A chandni plant requires different size containers at different stages of its production and growth.
- Use a 6-inch pot for chandni Plant’s cutting stage.
- An 8-inch pot is good enough once the plant produces leaves and grows.
Always make 4-5 drainage holes at the bottom for proper drainage and air passage. Otherwise, the chandni flower can die from suffocation and overwatering.
Growing From Cutting Method
- Take 3-4 cuttings from a healthy and tender chandni plant.
- You will need to cut them from near the node. The cuttings should be tender and green in colour.
- Take a 6-inch pot filled with soil, as discussed above.
- Insert the cutting in the soil and water it thoroughly.
- Keep the chandni pot in bright but indirect sunlight.
- The plant will lose its moisture if kept under direct sunlight and may not grow properly.
In three to four weeks, you can see a sapling that you can transplant into a bigger pot.
How To Take Care Of Chandni Flower Plant
Read the simple care instructions below and offer the same to your plant.
Chandni plant does not have any specific soil requirement, but it should not have a lot of clay content. The best pH range for growing chandni plants is 4.6 to 6.0. One option is to combine 30% cow dung compost with 70% garden soil. Alternatively, you could use a mixture of 50% garden soil, 20% coco peat, 25% compost, and 5% neem khali.
Your baby chandni plant will need bright but indirect sunlight in the initial phase. Once you see small leaves developing, you should place the pot where it can get at least 5 to 6 hours of sunlight. Remember to protect them from the harsh summer afternoon, or they can burn their leaves.
You should keep your chandni plant where it can get the most direct sunlight.
This flowering plant needs a good amount of phosphorus and nitrogen. These plants should be fertilised in September and February. You can use cow dung compost, dry leaf compost, neem cakes, and bone meal powder or apply liquid fertilisers once every 15 days for good production.
Since the Chandni flower is kept in direct sunlight, it needs a good amount of water. Before watering, check if the soil is dry by touching it with your fingers. If the soil is soggy, it can lead to root rot.
The Chandni flower plant needs a temperature range between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius.
The chandni plant needs regular pruning of its lower branches to maintain its shape and growth in the right direction. Since the plant is grown in a pot, it can become root-bound, and you should check it once a year to do root pruning. Root pruning can be done as below:
- Remove the root bowl from the existing container and transfer it into a bigger container where the roots can grow properly.
The chandni plant has beautiful flowers and several medicinal properties. The plant can be handled and cared for with the same ease with which it is grown. Once planted, you will see the leaves in no time. Following the above steps and advice, you can raise a beautiful plant today.
How to take care of a chandni Plant?
The chandni flower plant requires regular watering so that the soil remains moist. You can check the soil's dryness by dipping your index finger one inch into the soil. However, ensure not to overwater; otherwise, it can destroy the plant.
How to grow chandni plants easily at home?
The easiest way of growing chandni plants is by the cutting method. You need 3-4 healthy cuttings, which you place into the prepared soil. Initially, a small 6-inch container will work; later on, it will have to be moved to a bigger pot.
Do Chandni plants need sunlight?
When there are no leaves, you can keep them in bright but indirect sunlight during the initial phase. Once there are leaves, you can place them in direct sunlight for at least 5 to 6 hours.
What are the benefits of the chandni flower plant?
The chandni plant is attractive and has a great aroma. It also has excellent medicinal properties and can help reduce anxiety, uneasiness, and sleep issues.
What is the English name for chandni flowers?
The English name chandni flower is crepe jasmine and east India rosebay.