Frequently Asked Questions
1. What kitchen wastes can be composted?
Most of the kitchen food waste materials including fresh fruit and vegetables, prepared foods, raw or cooked meats and fish, meat bones, bread, cheese, eggs, tea bags, coffee grinds, wilted flowers and tissues can be composted.
2. How do kitchen compost bins work?
Compost bins work in the following way:
- Food waste is added
- Compost maker powder is added
- The lid is closed
- This process is repeated till the compost bin is full. Kept aside for 15 days
- Liquid fertilizer is harvested every 3 days. It can be used for plants or for cleaning toilet drains. You don't need to buy expensive fertilizers for your plants again.
- Then the fermented food waste is added to a pot with soil layers and left for 3 weeks. Your compost will be ready.
3. How long does it take to compost?
It will take around 4- 5 weeks to compost.
4. Do kitchen compost bins smell?
No. If the process is carried out properly, the bin won't smell.
5. How will I know that the compost making process has failed?
The following signs will indicate that the compost making process has failed:
- Smell: A strong rotten and rancid smell from the bin.
- Visual: The presence of black or blue-green fungi and maggots indicates contamination inside the bin. In such case, putrefaction process has occurred instead of fermentation.